Friday, March 18, 2005

This being my first post I’ll explain whereabouts I am with my current project. I’m in the 3rd year of my PhD investigating the domestic consumption of online music. Approaching the end of my data collection now which has involved time spent in the Music Interactive dept of the BBC, as well as time in online music user groups and a lot of time hanging around record stores inviting people to be interviewed (it’s tough job, but…). Starting to pull some main themes from the research and it’s all getting very interesting, not to mention complicated. Currently trying to get to the bottom of the importance of the format of a piece of music and what impact this has on the listening experience. Does an MP3 file share the same value as a piece of music on CD, tape or vinyl? How do users relate differently to different formats? What affordances do various formats give? Does this influence the meaning that piece of music has for the listener? Questions, questions, questions…

- Gerard